After buying a Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 instant print camera, many people start looking for articles on the Internet about how to photograph correctly on this polaroid, which mode to choose, how to shoot outdoors and indoors, and why the photos are too dark or, conversely, too light.
From the experience of shooting on Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 and a similar one – Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 – I’ll say right away that, most likely, you won’t find any special life hikes on how to use the camera. Also, do not blame yourself for crooked hands and lack of knowledge of photographic fundamentals. You just need to accept the fact that modern fujifilm polaroids are quite limited in terms of shooting conditions and the ability to customize modes. But there are some simple tips on how to make a photo on instax mini better and clearer:
1. Do not forget to change the mode based on the lit indicator light. After you turn on the camera by pressing the button next to the lens, the lamp lights up opposite the desired mode. You need to twist the lens, aligning a dot on it with a burning light.
2. Do you always need to use the modes that the indicator light prompts? More often than not. According to the experience of shooting outdoors, the optimal modes are “sunny” (bright sun) and “a bit cloudy” (just the sun). In these modes, both the background and the subject are optimally lit. If the photos are too light, and you are shooting in the “cloudy” mode, switch one step higher, that is, to the “dim sun” mode (just the sun) or move to a darker place.
In clear weather, and even more so in the sun, the photos are likely to be overexposed. Hide from direct sunlight under a tree, turn on the “bright sun” mode, try to keep the background dark (not the sea and the sky, but trees, a dark wall, dark clothes will also help). And if the photos are too dark, switch to a step lower, for example, from the “dim sun” mode to the “bright sun” mode.
3. In the room, shoot only in the “house” mode, while the flash fires no further than 1.5-2 m. Well, the photo shows 2-3 funny faces, no more. When taking a selfie, use a macro lens (instax mini 9 comes with it, but you can also buy an additional lens in the form of a cat-rabbit-machine for a fan) and extend your arm as far as possible from the face. Try to place the camera just above eye level so that there are no “flat faces”.
Selfie lovers know that if you lift the PTZ camera on your smartphone and shoot from above, you get a more natural self-portrait than if you shoot from below or directly in front of you. Unfortunately, Instax Mini 8/9 does not have a timer and a self-timer, which can be very convenient when shooting group self-portraits. If you want to shoot yourself with a timer, consider the options for Instax Mini 70 or Instax Mini 90 cameras.
4. There is no point in taking photos on the Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 at night. Only waist-length portraits with flash. If you want to shoot night lights, illuminated buildings, and other elements of big city life, you should buy a Lomo’Instant camera and read a couple of articles on the basics of photography.
Lomo’Instant has manual shutter modes, a tripod jack and other features, but this is already a bit “advanced”. Moreover, it has a wider hole, that is, in the dark with certain skills, quite decent photos can be obtained. What can not be said about fujifilm instax mini. Unless to try to experiment with Fuji Instax 90 Neoclassic, which also has a manual exposure mode.
5. How to get clear photos on Instax Mini? .. Well, firstly, as clear as photos on a smartphone – instax pictures will definitely not be. And there is a certain charm to film photography. The distance to the object, if you are shooting without a lens, should be at least 60 cm (35 cm in the lens).
6. I want to shoot landscapes on Instax Mini 9. No problem! Just flip the camera 90 degrees and take horizontal photos. At the same time, do not forget to adjust the brightness and avoid too light backgrounds that may be highlighted.
7. Can I turn off the flash on my Instax Mini 9? No. But resourceful momentographers came up with the idea of closing the flash with black tape. This will especially help if you take a photo opposite the mirror. A flash covered with electrical tape will not light you and leave no glare on the glass. And to peel off the electrical tape is easier than ever if you needed the flash again.
8. How to take good pictures on Instax Mini 9 at home? First, take pictures only in very well-lit rooms. It is desirable that there was even a daylight, natural light from the window. Because artificial lighting, which seems bright to our eyes, may not be enough for a film-based instant camera. If the room is poorly lit, use the HI-KEY mode to increase the exposure of the picture.
Just do not forget to remove this mode when you leave the house on the street – otherwise the photos on the street will turn out overexposed.
9. Can I take black and white photos on Instax Mini 9?
Recently you can! Because there are special cartridges Fujifilm Instax Mini Monochrome. Photos are very cool and artistic.
10. Where to buy to buy cheap Fujifilm Instax Mini cartridges or how to reduce my film costs?
In truth, this is the price we pay for the opportunity to instantly receive a card in the age of mobile photography and online communication. The best way to save on cartridges is not to repeat the mistakes described in this article, and think well in advance about the future frame before shooting. Check the mode, carefully look into the viewfinder, taking into account the parallax effect (frame displacement), do not shoot too close so that the object does not turn out to be blurry (the butterfly or flower will definitely not be clear). Ask your model not to move or chat. In general, appreciate every frame as well as every moment in life.
The price of cartridges around the world practically does not differ, even if ordered on aliexpress and other sites. You can save a little if you order cartridges in 2-3 packs, or in gift sets along with accessories. When buying and searching for cartridges, pay attention to how many cartridges of 10 photos are included in the package: one or two. Buying a double pack of cartridges is usually more profitable. Also pay attention to the availability and cost of delivery.